Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Brandi Connection - or lack there of.

So.. I think it goes without saying that the Brandi Carlile concert @ the Pabst on April 9, 2009 was beyond words. As Lenny simply put it "breathtaking".

Brandi never fails to deliver, and with every performance I fall more and more in love.

With that being said, this last "meeting" if you will didn't go quite as planned.

So, with my cocky grin on my face I went up to the merch table to buy my ever coveted concert poster. I looked to my friends and said "She's going to sign it for me later, duh!" We laughed it off, and went to get our seats.

Like I had mentioned earlier, the concert itself was fantastic. We were able to hear a bunch of new stuff, which only makes August seem even further away! I cannot wait for the next album. Nearing the end of the show, Brandi announces that she's going to come out to the merch table to sign some autographs and say hello. Immediately I packed up my stuff knowing that the last song is ahead, and I need to be able to rush out to get to the merch table ASAP. I was going to meet my good friend Brandi again. The excitement inside could've exploded outside of me.

So.. Hallelujah comes to an end, the crowd jumps to its feet.. and I push MaryAnne out of the theater.

Standing in line, all I could think about was what I would say. I mean, I had technically met her three times now.... Would she remember me? Should I just be gushing fan? Try to think of something a bit more detailed... like "What were you thinking when you wrote this song..." ? So much was going through my mind.

And then the moment came. This is what I said as I handed her my poster to sign:

"Brandi, I have to tell you that my friend and I found you a few years ago when you opened up for Shawn Colvin right here at the Pabst. Since then we have followed you around the state, and can't get enough! [she remains face down signing the poster]. "I even went to see you open for Sheryl Crow and met you there! I told you that "you sang to my soul." Do you remember?? I had this puppy dog look on my face. She looks up at me.. kinda blankly...and then my heart sank. So I said, as my voice was getting higher and higher, "Of course you don't remember! I mean you meet so many people! It's ok! She reaches out her hand as more than just a kind gesture, but one maybe to shut me up. I shake her hand... and she says "I'll remember you next time!" And at this point my heart sank even further. I knew that she was thinking "this guy is a freak." as she smiled all along.. and I continued to mumble random things in a diarrhea of the mouth type way.. and finally walked away..

I felt a fool. Lord. The woman who has been "singing to my soul" for the last few years... the woman I thought I'd be together forever with [i'm kidding... mostly]... I had just made feel uncomfortable with our awkward meeting.

Oh lord. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment